1 November 2011

It doesn't have to be pancake day

As I'm having a week of work this week, I wanted to make a nice lunch for me and L to tuck into. We would normally have sandwiches, but it does get to the point that we are both sick of sandwiches!

Pancakes are a big deal in the UK but only on Pancake Day or Shrove Tuesday, as it's also called. I love pancakes and the batter is so simple to whip up that I decided that today would be Pancake Day number 2 for the year and, in a effort to have more vegetables with our midday food, we had them stuff with mushrooms, spinach and ham in a creamy garlic sauce.
Oh we are so posh in this house! It took me around minutes to make the whole thing from scratch.

You will need:
Pancake ingredients - My pancake batter recipe is the same as my yorkshire pudding recipe and as much as I would love to share it with you, I can't! It's not that I don't want to, it's just that I have been making it for years and years and have never once measured out ingredients properly. I just put as much flour, milk and eggs in and as I think feels right! So here is a recipe you could use: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/8366615/How-to-make-a-basic-pancake-batter.html

About 5 closed cup mushrooms
Half a chopped onion
2 handfuls of spinach
About 100g of ham
A teaspoon of garlic powder, or one clove of fresh garlic
100ml double cream

This made enough for 4 servings

Method:
Wilt your spinach leaves in a dash of oil. Add mushrooms, ham, onions and garlic and cook for a a couple of minutes until mushrooms have softened.

Add garlic and give mixture a good stir. Leave to bubble away on a low heat so garlic will infuse.









Make the pancakes while the filling is cooking. As you can see my pancakes can sometimes be a little hit and miss with size and shape!











Serve and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment